UNIX Training with Michigan Technology Services
Michigan Technology Services offers instructor-led UNIX and Linux training. The training can take place at our location in Farmington Hills, 20 miles outside of Detroit, onsite at your office anywhere throughout the United States, or if you prefer, instructor led live online.
UNIX is a computer operating system developed by AT&T Bell Labs.
UNIX has impressive power, but the technical competence required to operate its command-line interface caused it to fall from favor as Novell and Microsoft began shipping network operating systems in the 1990s. Quite frankly the UNIX syntax was not intuitive, and its interface was unfriendly. Microsoft made things easier for network administrators.
Now a single Graphical User Interface that is shipped and supported by all major UNIX vendors has replaced command-line syntax. We also now see companies using Linux - and a rebirth of interest in UNIX.
If you are in need of UNIX training, command-line or GUI, Michigan Technology Services, located in the metro Detroit area, is a valuable resource.
There are multiple UNIX and Linux courses available:
- MTS–L-120 Linux Fundamentals Designed to provide the essential skills needed to be proficient at the UNIX or Linux command line, this challenging, highly praised Linux course focuses on the fundamental concepts and tools which make UNIX so powerful.
- MTS–L-250 Enterprise Linux Systems Administration Intended for students already comfortable with working in the UNIX environment, this in-depth course helps students acquire the variety of skills needed to set up and maintain UNIX computers.
- MTS–L-275 Enterprise Linux Network Services Students further develop their skills as Linux systems administrators by learning how to setup and maintain popular network services.
- MTS–L-314 Linux Troubleshooting This course is designed to give the Linux system administrator an in-depth look at common and not so common Linux system problems. This course takes a hands-on approach to troubleshooting with a break-fix philosophy, 25% lecture, and 75% lab intensive content.
- MTS–L-550 Linux Shell Scripting - Designed to provide the skills necessary to automate tasks on a Unix or Linux system. Systems Administrators and Developers alike can avoid errors, save time and money by replacing repetitive work patterns with shell scripts. Care has been taken to present the GL375 in a format that benefits all students, with or without previous programming experience.
- MTS–L-615 Linux for UNIX Administrators Geared toward the experienced UNIX administrator. Students learn Linux administration skill without covering an overlap of common knowledge.
- MTS–L-550 Enterprise Linux Security AdministrationThis highly technical course focuses on properly securing machines running the Linux operating systems. A broad range of general security techniques are covered. Advanced security technologies are taught. At the end of the course, students have an excellent understanding of the potential security vulnerabilities - know how to audit existing machines, and how to securely deploy new network services.
- Linux+ training topics include:
- Planning a Linux Implementation
- Hardware Requirements and Issues
- Installing Linux
- Software Management
- Package Management
- Users and Security User Administration
- Linux Networking
- Managing Files and Services
- Managing Partitions and Processes
- Installing, Updating, and Removing Drivers
- Understanding the Linux Kernel
- Linux Troubleshooting